Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Zucchinis!!

Wow, we have so many zucchini's we just don't know what to do with them.  We have been giving them away, eating them ourselves and giving them to the chooks.  The funny thing is - 95% of the zucchinis are coming from only one plant. 

Our Zucchini Tromboncino is highly prolific and we usually pick at least 4 every couple of days from that one plant.  Unfortunately the chooks don't like those zucchinis because they are all firm flesh and no seeds.  So the chooks don't eat the zucchinis, even if I cut them up.  Today I went through the fridge and pulled out all of the zucchinis that we haven't been able to get through.  The crisper section of our fridge was full of them!  I zapped the zucchinis through the food processor to grate them and gave the gratings to the chooks - they quite enjoyed scratching through the huge pile!

2 comments:

  1. i hadn't thought of grating the zucchinis for the chickens. I've just been slicing them in half and letting them peck the guts out of them but I think they'd eat the skin as well then if I grated them. thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make zucchini relish when I have extra zucchini. It's yummy. Everyone asks for it, now. My dad eats it straight out of the jar. It's at the point where I grow zucchini just for making relish! Let me know if you'd like the recipe...

    ReplyDelete