Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's been a while

Hello friends and family in blogworld, I'm terribly sorry that I have been so remiss in writing lately.  So you don't think I have completely forgotten you all - here is some news from our part of the world...

Early last week Butter Chook passed away.  We don't know why.  One day she was fine, the next she was dead.  There were no visible signs of anything wrong.  It is very sad.  Phili Chook is doing well - and her feathers are slowly coming back after her massive overnight moult a couple of weeks ago - but she is lonely in the chook house and it will probably be a couple more weeks before we can get her some new housemates.

Autumn is in full swing in Canberra and the changing colours of the deciduous trees is a wonderful sight.  We've already had a few overnight temperatures of only 1oC (33.8oF), but no frosts yet so some of our summer vegetables are still producing (although in reduced quantities).  I have planted lots of seeds for winter vegetables, and have started pulling out the old summer vegetables that have stopped producing.  The garden looks very different from a couple of months ago.

I have been on school holidays this week and have been so busy that I have hardly had time to draw breath - but I have squeezed in some crafting so keep an eye out for some posts about it soon! 

2 comments:

  1. that's the second chicken death I've heard about this week - and such a rapid decline. A friend told me that chickens hide their illness for a long time so that when you finally see they are ill, they're very far gone and that's why it's often so fast.

    I'm sorry for your loss. I fear the day that happens to my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of your autumnal weather gives me pause - we're just heading into spring here! And a little jealous of your gold and red leaves!

    ReplyDelete