Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah

For the past few weeks in the clothing course I am studying we have been looking at how everybody needs different adjustments to their clothes to get a better fit.  It has been really fascinating to realise how different everyone's body is.  It has made me much more aware of people's bodies and I now really notice different body characteristics - long torsos, broad shoulders, short legs, the list goes on. 

It makes me wonder how we ever ended up with 'standard' clothing sizes.  No-one in my class had the same body shape as any one else, yet if we went into a clothing shop we would all have the same choices in clothing shapes and styles.  It's no wonder that "I can never find anything to fit!".

We spent the first weeks of the course concentrating on our own bodies, and then we had to utilise our new skills by tailoring an item for someone else.  I chose my husband - here is his completely adjusted and finished shirt toile.  He said that because of the high mandarin collar he feels like a Beatle in this (hence the title of the blog!).  The calico I used is quite stiff and a bit pointy but in a softer fabric this would sit quite nicely.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing... tell him to relax his fists! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I've had amazing teachers who have made it a dream to learn.

    (he hates having his photo taken - even without his face in the frame - so I was laughing too much at the terrible faces he was pulling to notice his fists until I looked at the photos on the computer!)

    ReplyDelete