Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Babies in the garden

A photo visit to the new babies in our garden.  Not pictured here is the HUGE redback spider I also saw.  Redbacks are very poisonous and even though no one has died from a redback bite for decades (since the antivenom was introduced), a bite would still require a trip to hospital emergency and are apparently really painful.  I get quite worried for Tansy as she is always poking her nose into dark places and one day might annoy the wrong creature, so I'm always on the lookout for them.  Redbacks are the only pest we use nasty chemical poison on in our backyard - I can't bear the thought of stepping on them (my toes literally curl at the thought!) incase I miss and one runs up my leg and bites me!  I find about 10 redbacks a year in our backyard and the one yesterday was the biggest I think I've ever seen.

Anyway, on to much prettier (and less deadly!) garden adventures!...

Baby tree fern frond

 Baby raspberries - hooray that we are getting an Autumn crop!

 Baby butternut pumpkin

 Baby purple capsicum

Baby Italian melon - we've been trying to grow these for the past couple of years.  This is our first success after snails ate the young shoots the first year and last year the seeds didn't even germinate.  I think it is kind of like a rockmelon??  Has anyone ever grown these?

3 comments:

  1. What a terrific start to your growing season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow the garden looks gorgeous and, um creepsy too! We don't have anything like the dangers in our back yard that you do in yours, though there are snails galore. Fab melon too - I have never seen one like it. What do the Internet Gods know about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The melon has ripened! It is small (not sure if that is the species or the hot, dry summer) and tastes a lot like a rockmelon.

    ReplyDelete